Tuesday, November 18, 2008



I've spent the last few days developing the image for "Elektra" who will stand between Agamemnon and Orestes in the triptych.

Here is the line drawing of the final design. She is a weeping figure. In both Aeschylus' and Sophocles' versions she spends much of the time in the mid-section of the trilogy lamenting the loss of her father and, ultimately, cultivating hatred for her mother.

Is it only in Greek tragedy, I wonder, that grief is allowed to ferment into poisonous hatred and find release in violent retribution? I remember when seeing Sophocles Electra just how raw those expressed emotions were. The play was in Greek but you didn't need to understand the language to get gripped by the drama.

I get the feeling my finished work will seriously understate this. You can judge when it is completed.

No comments: